Contact the owner by clicking here.
(for sale as of )
Price Reduced!! $225,000
Location: Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
S/V Hummingbird is an Antigua based 1997 Freebird 50 catamaran SOLD!!
This Boat Owner requires financial settlement only ... trades will not be considered!!
Both boats were designed by Toby Richardson, a hugely experienced catamaran sailor and the stress calculations were handled by a former senior member of the British Aerospace engineering team which created the Concorde airliner.
Nine Freebirds were built in England by Northshore Yachts, but production ceased when the moulds were destroyed in a factory fire. Hummingbird is No 7 and was ordered by the current owners while at an early stage of construction. The layout , rig and fittings emerged as a result of lengthy discussions between the owners and builders and the result was a boat that has been perfect for live aboard cruising.
The keels have single skin laminate to withstand grounding and are independent of the hull structures. They form grey water and bilge tanks which are interconnected with high baffles.
Regardless of sea conditions the cockpit provides complete safety for all sailing operations . Without leaving it the anchor can be raised and stowed, the sails set, trimmed, reefed and furled and at the end of a passage deployment of the anchor can also be completed from the cockpit.
The emphasis on safety is also reflected in the specification of all deck equipment. The builders tended to favour oversizing and from anchors to shrouds to winches Hummingbird errs on the side of caution. This is most evident in looking at the rig. Catamarans with backstays are very rare and having one generates a warm feeling of rig security in strong weather. It also allows the boat to carry a large yankee genoa on a mast head rig.
The spacious accomodation allows the owners and friends to live and sail in comfort and the saloon, with 12 opening windows, gives panoramic views from the slightly raised seating areas. The large chart table is immediately inside the saloon and is effectively adjacent to the helm position. There is a full range of electronic navigation equipment and the boat can also be steered from within the saloon.
She comes equipped with a generator, large solar array, watermaker, two fridges and a freezer, and a washer/dryer to name some of the highlights. Water and fuel capacity are a whopping 216 gals and 210 gals respectively.
The separation of saloon and galley means that each area can be used to full advantage. Hummingbird has a large comfortable saloon which never fails to impress new visitors. The galley was designed and equipped for people who enjoy good food and enjoy cooking it. Therefore it is larger than some domestic kitchens and has much working and storage space. There does not have to be a compromise between food preparation, navigation and socialising.
If the saloon and galley impress visitors it is the port hull which provokes more reaction even from those accustomed to large catamarans. From the after end of the double bed , which can be entered from each side, to the fore end of the heads is a distance of 39 feet and this includes 3 full length hanging wardrobes, a 3 seater settee, 9 drawers, numerous cupboards, a built in 85 litre freezer and a built in washing machine.
Freedom 50s are very rare. It is not a mass production boat that is seen in every anchorage and marina . From Crete to Jamaica, from Tobago to Washington DC the owners have been approached by yachties who have seen something different and want to talk about what it is and where it is from. Time and again people comment on the smooth, elegant lines and tell us that if it looks right , then it must be right.
We have had a wonderful time on Hummingbird for 20 years, but our creaking joints and other problems tell us that it is time to move ashore. The boat is wearing much better than we are and the next owners will be able to look forward to many more years exploring this beautiful world on a beautiful boat.
|Flag of Registry||British Flag and VAT Paid|
|Length Overall:||50' 0" / 15.25m|
|LWL:||48' 0" / 14.6m|
|Beam:||25' 0" / 7.6m|
|Draft:||3' 6" / 1.05m|
|Sails:||Mainsail area: 610 square feet
Genoa area: 720 square feet, High cut Yankee
|Interior Headroom:||6' 6" / 2m|
|Engines:||2 X Yanmar 3JH2CE 38 HP Inboard Diesels coupled through Yanmar SD31 saildrive legs.|
|Propellers:||17 in Flex-o-Fold propellers|
|Cruising speed:||6.5 kts|
|Max speed:||7.5 kts|
|Fuel Capacity:||216 gallons|
|Fresh water capacity:||210 gallons|
- The saloon measures approximately 15 ft by 14 ft and contains a six seat dining table with L- shaped settee, two armchairs, sideboard, chest of drawers and full size chart table.
- The main electrical control panels and radios are also built in.
- All surfaces are either solid wood or veneered marine grade plywood in cherry or maple.
- The owner’s suite occupies the whole of the port hull other than the engine room and watertight bow space. It is 34 ft long, 7 ft wide and the spacious heads compartment adds another 6 ft to the overall length of the suite.
- The standard double bed is fore and aft with side access. There are 3 full length wardrobes, 11 drawers, a 5 ft 6 in settee, an 8 ft long dressing table and ample additional locker and shelf space.
- The heads contains a shower, washbasin and electric toilet.
- The galley is situated amidships in the starboard hull and measures 11 ft 6 in by 6 ft. It has 25 square feet of GRP work surfaces, with ample cupboard and shelf space above and below.
- There is a double sink unit with strainer sink, 2 Waeco 110 litre refrigerators fitted in 2015. Cooking is by a 4 burner propane / butane hob with a separate oven / grill.
- Guest cabins - There is a spacious double cabin forward of the galley on the starboard side. It has a large double berth, full length hanging locker, dressing table and ample further locker and shelf space. The large attached heads contains a manually operated large bowl toilet, with wash basin and shower.
- There is a twin berth cabin with en-suite heads aft of the galley. This has limited storage space ad is generally used as single berth accommodation.
- The cockpit is the centre of life on Hummingbird. It measures 13 ft by 9 ft and is protected by a hard bimini measuring 12 ft by 8 ft.
- The windscreen is 12 ft wide and slopes forward to a height of 3 ft with 2 opening panels. It provides a perfect combination of ventilation and protection.
- The other sides of the bimini are fitted with roll down screens for further weather / sun protection as needed.Access from the cockpit to the saloon is through a pair of heavy teak doors fitted with armoured glass.
- In the middle of the cockpit is a flush mounted hatch 4 ft by 3 ft giving access to a dry locker measuring approximately 10 ft by 5 ft 6 in by 1 ft 3 in deep.
- This huge space houses the sails when not rigged and is also used, when at sea, for stowing a folding teak dining table and folding aluminium reclining chairs.
- Hummingbird is sailed entirely from within the cockpit. 6 winches are installed and an electric Lewmar #40 hoists the main and furls the genoa.
- All reefing and sail trimming operations are handled without needing to leave the cockpit. Therefore, regardless of weather conditions, the crew remain in a secure and protected location. The boat was designed for ease of sailing and this objective has been achieved spectacularly well.
- The Freebird 50 is almost unique in the world of catamarans in that it is fitted with a divided backstay and therefore has a masthead rig . This ensures an unusually strong rig with a 16 mm forestay, 14 mm shrouds and 2 x 10 mm backstays.
- There is a Furlex roller reefing system fitted to the forestay and 3 in-boom single line reefing systems are led back to the cockpit from the mainsail.
- The mainsail is controlled through a 14 ft track supporting a Lewmar size 3 Triple Block car system. The genoa sheets are led through Lewmar size 3 cars wth stainless steel stirrups and are controlled by 2 Lewmar 66ST winches. Other winches are Lewmar #54, #48 and #44 all self-tailing.
- Guard rails are 6 mm Dyneema supported by 2 ft 4 in stanchions, with midship and stern gates.
- Main: by North Sails - 610 sq ft, fully battened with lazy jacks.
- Selden recirculating ball car system.
- Genoa: by North Sails - 720 sq ft, mast head 130 % high cut yankee.
- Sail bag: Fully zipped and battened , replaced 2015.
- Main engines - 2 Yanmar 3JH 2CE rated at 38 hp each driving 17 in Flex-o-Fold propellers through Yanmar SD31 saildrive legs.
- 17 in Flex-o-Fold propellers
- The engines have run for approximately 6000 hours and have been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.
- Generator - Northern Lights M735k producing 6 Kw at 220 volts. It has run for approximately 6000 hours and has also been serviced in line with the manufacturers recommendations.
- Seafresh watermaker, 22 gallons per hour to starboard tank;
- Bimini catchment system, connects directly to the starboard tank via a fine strainer.
- Transfer pump, starboard to port tanks;
- Pressurised water is provided by Whale or Jabsco pumps and each engine room contains
- 25 litre calorifier for the provision of hot water from the engine.
- 220 volt immersion heaters are also fitted;
- Grey water drains into tanks in the keels which also contain bilge tanks . Each tank has a separate discharge pump and there is an overflow system between adjacent tanks;
- The owners suite toilet has a 20 gallon holding tank which is discharged by a macerator pump.
- There is a 12 gallon tank serving the forward guest cabin and this is discharged by a manual pump.
Electrical System - Inputs:
- Wind generator : Eclectic Energy D400;
- Batteries: 8 x Duracell AGM Gp 27 92 amp , installed 2015;
- Alternators: 2 x Balmar model 80 / 90 amp with Balmar ARS 4/5 regulators;
- ProNautic C series 60 amp Battery charger
- Xantrex Truecharge 2 60 amps Battery charger
- 6 Solar panels at total 730 watts output. Mounted on top of the cockpit bimini;
- Sinergex PureSine2 2000 watts at 220 volts Inverter
- two Xantrex 300 watt at 220 volts inverters;
Electrical System - Loads, 12 volts:
- 2 x Waeco 110 litre refrigerators;
- 1 Waeco 85 litre freezer;
- Lighting throughout the boat divided equally between halogen and LED sources;
- 2 x Hella ventilation fans fitted over double berths;
Electrical System - 220 volts:
- Washing machine, standard domestic, front loading;
- 220 volt ring main powering : vacuum cleaner, iron, bread maker, hair dryer,heat gun, hot knife, soldering iron, ventilation fan, hand food blender and food processor.
Electronics and Navigation:
- Raytheon R20XX radar; Full set of Imray charts of Eastern Caribbean;
- Plastimo 5" magnetic compass;
- Silva magnetic bearing compass;
- Raymarine Seatalk system - Type 300 course computer,
- Raymarine type 50 wind and depth instruments,
- Raymarine i70 multifunction instrument
- Raymarine e7 hybrid touch chart plotter
- Raymarine ST7002 and p70 autopilots;
- 406 EPIRB;
- Anchor capstan - Lewmar V5 capstan / windlass, installed 2016;
- 230 ft ACCO BBB 0.5 in chain;
- 32 ft ACCO BBB. 0.5 in chain with 100 metres 32mm anchor plait rope;
- 100 metres. 25 mm anchorplait rope;
- 65 lb Spade anchor;
- 35 lb Spade anchor, same size as above, but aluminium;
- Fortress FX 55 anchor;
- Fortress FX 37 anchor;
- Fortress FX 11 anchor;
- Bridle with 2 x 20 ft 16 mm ropes to 0.75 in chain hook;
- Lifesling. Life ring buoy.
- Galley fire blanket;
- 5 fire extinguishers;
- Firdell Blipper, a very effective radar reflecter;
- There are watertight bulkheads in each bow. The first 8 ft of each hull is behind a bulkhead and the space is similarly sub-divided horizontally. This creates a very substantial degree of buoyancy and the bows have never been submerged.
- The presence of the backstay gives a high level of additional confidence.
- These are commensurate with the style and quality of Hummingbird. Cleats, mooring ropes, fenders etc are, if anything, oversize and this is reflects the builders underlying approach to safety.
- A large locker on the port side of the foredeck holds mooring ropes, spare sheets and anchors. The matching space on the starboard side is used for fender storage
- The dinghy is a AB Ventus 260, 9ft 6ins with bow locker, good condition. It stows between the hulls from stainless steel davits.
- The engine is a new Yamaha Enduro 15hp.
- Hummingbird is equipped with a comprehensive tool kit which, in addition to the power tools mentioned above, includes a cordless drill and a tethered dive kit. This has a 12 volt compressor and a tethered range of 60 feet to a depth of 23 feet.
- The range of spares is also extensive, from fan belts to hatch and window seals to pump service kits, hoses and electrical wiring.