Contact the owner by clicking here
(for sale as of )
Asking €120,000 (Euro)
Location: Clarkes Court Bay, Grenada
S/V Thetis is a Caribbean based 1990 Tropic 12 catamaran for sale by owner
I bought her in 1994 and had a few alterations made by a boatyard in Germany, which gave her current outward appearance and inside they added a well-spaced navigator's table in the saloon. Until 2005 Thetis was based in Delfzijl, Netherlands, during the summer months and was sailed in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea with a few dips into the Atlantic during summer vacations and weekends.
Sailing intensified in 2005, when I started to spend about three months on board during the summer months, taking her to France and Northern Spain, Great Britain, Ireland, Sweden, Norway and Finland. On one occasion she also saw the Mediterranean Sea, the Spanish, French and Italian islands during a two years trip in 2006/7.
For the winters she was taken up river Ems to her home town, Haren, Germany, where she spent all her winters under a tent on the hard on my property. Time enough for regular maintenance and modernization. Most of the sailing was done with a crew of two, myself together with my partner or a friend. Thetis can easily be handled by two persons only.
In all those years Thetis had proved herself sturdy enough for serious blue water sailing and we proceeded with our plans to take her across the Atlantic. This decision led to quite a few further changes concerning her blue water sailing capabilities. Her 14.50 m aluminum mast was exchanged in 2015 for a 16m carbon fibre one, longer than before. but also much lighter. Most of the standing rigging, apart from the forestay, is now Dyneema. Parts of the halyards and the guard rail been exchanged for Dyneema, too. All of this has improved Thetis' general sailing performance and also her speed in light winds.
After a profound checkup and a lot of maintenance work (for example new seacocks throughout) in early 2016 we started Thetis' longest voyage so far in July 2016: as part of the Barbados 50 fleet to the Canaries, the Cape Verdes and Barbados, where we arrived in November after a 14-day-crossing. On this long voyage Thetis proved herself a willing, fast and safe boat. All lines have been brought back to the cockpit so that the can be single handed. We, the regular crew of two, arrived rested and relaxed and the boat had no failures at all. We also enjoyed the independence, which enough solar-generated power and a watermaker and a rain catchment system give you.
For the last year we have sailed her in the Caribbean. After 4 months on the hard in Clarkes Court Boatyard, Grenada, with all the regular maintenance done Thetis is back in the water now and we will sail her in the southern Caribbean, unless we find a new owner for her, with a heart for a ship with a personality, standing out of the masses of built-to-be-chartered boats.
|Builder:||Naval Force 3, La Rochelle, France|
|Construction:||Under water: solid GRP, above water: plywood/epoxy. The hollow keels have single skin laminate to withstand grounding and are independent of the hull structures. The rudders are semi balanced with stocks of 2 inch diameter aluminum rods.|
|Length Overall:||12.70 m / 42 ft|
|LWL:||12.40 m / 41 ft|
|Beam:||6.60 m / 22 ft|
|Draft:||Draft 1 m / 3 ft 3 in|
|Displacement:||6 metric tons / 13,227 lbs|
|Mast height:||16 m / 52 ft 6 in|
|Sails:||Mainsail 50 m² / 538 ft²
Genoa 38 m² / 409 ft²
Second genoa for downwind sailing 28 m² / 300 ft²
Spinnaker 105 m² / 1130 ft² in a sock - new 2014
Storm gib 6 m² / 65 ft²
Lazybag: Fully zipped and battened, new 2016
|Engines:||2 x Yanmar 18hp 2GM20 (F) diesel engines coupled to saildrives|
|Propellers:||2 x Gory 2-blade folding propellers|
|Headroom:||1.72 m / 5 ft 8 in saloon - 1.9 m / 6 ft 3 in hulls|
|Fresh Water Tank:||320 liters / 85 gallons|
|Fuel Tank:||2 x 80 liters / 42 gallons (+ 60 liters in jerrycans)|
|Holding Tanks:||2 x 100 gallons (760 liter)|
- gas stove (3 burners),
- gas oven/grill
- double sink
- fridge WAECO MODEL 54 (90 liters)
- ample space in various cupboards and drawers.
Electronics and Navigation:
- Magnetic bearing compass: Ritchie;
- 3 Simrad IS20 instruments for wind, speed, depth, (new 2015);
- Raymarine chart plotter RC435;
- Navionics Gold electronic charts CF modules: Europe West CF/46XG, UK + Ireland CF/28XG;
- Simrad autopilot with AP22 control unit and J300X course computer;
- Simrad autopilot (tillerpilot) TP32 (can be attached to the emergency steering to create a second independent autopilot system;
- Raytheon RL4 LTD radar;
- Simrad VHF RS 35 with AIS display - new 2015
- Simrad VHF handheld HF 35 - new 2015
- AMEC AIS transponder Camino 108 class B, with antenna splitter CUBO 162 - new 2016
- Multi-band radio: Siemens RK 670);
- Handheld GPS Magellan 315 as backup;
- MOERER NAVTEX receiver WIB 2
- 4 USB-sockets;
- 12V – car socket.
Sails & Rigging:
- 16 m (48 ft) carbon fiber mast with a three point rig
- 16 mm Dyneema shrouds
- 10 mm Dyform stainless steel forestay
- Profurl C420 roller reefing system (2015).
- Main 50 sq meters (540 sq ft), moderate fat top, battened, 3 reef points - new 2015;
- Genoa 38 sq meters (410 sq ft) - new 2015;
- Second genoa for downwind sailing 28 sq meters (300 sq ft) on Bartels furler;
- Spinnaker 105 sq meters (1130 sq ft) in a sock, new 2014;
- Storm gib 6 sq meters (65sq ft);
- Lazybag: Fully zipped and battened, new 2016.
- FACNOR aluminum tracks
- Facslide F 10 recirculating ball bearing cars
- Batteries: 2 x 6 V deep cycle Trojan 105 batteries, equaling 225 Ah, - 2016;
- Alternators: 2 x Hitachi 60 amp with Sterling Power Products regulator 180 amp - 2016;
- Battery charger: QUICK CHARGER SBC 100
- Inverter: SINUS SW300 (300 Watts);
- Solar panels : 6 at a total of 480 W output. Mounted on top of the cockpit bimini
- another 2 solar panels (160 W) added on the flexible awning, all installed 2016;
- Solar controllers: VOTRONIC 1 x MPP 350 Duo Dig ( installed 2016)
- Solar controllers: VOTRONIC: 2 x MPP 165 Duo Dig ( installed 2016)
- Water generator: Aquair UW 100 with high speed propeller: output 8 amp at 8 knots
- Battery monitor: Philippi BCM 1
- Shore Power supply with 5 sockets, 220 V.
- Lighting throughout the boat: LED sources;
- 1 x Hella ventilation fan fitted in saloon.
- 2 X Yanmar 2GM20 (F), rated at 18 hp each (5000 hours)
- Yanmar saildrive SD20
- Gory two-blade 15 x 12 fold propellers.
- Backup: 1 ALCO 15 x 9 L fixed propeller.
- The engines have been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Water System:
- EcoTec watermaker 200 DML-1, 12 V; 8.5 gallons - 32 ltr./hour
- Hard roof rain catchment system, connected directly to the water tanks via a fine filter;
- Pressurized water is provided by a FLOJET Quad II Diaphragm 4405 – 143 pump;
- Calorifier: ELGENA Nautic Therm, type ME (8 liters), run on 220 V AC or 12 V DC;
- 100 liter holding tanks for each head
- Mechanical anchor capstan GOIOT 308 for 8mm chain;
- 2 x 30 m galvanized chain 8 mm (new 2016);
- 30 m anchor line, FSE ROBLINE, 16-strand braided with plastic covered lead core (10 m);
- 24 kg spade anchor with roll-bar
- Fortress FX 23 anchor, blue;
- Anchor buoy with 15 m tripline.
- AWN liferaft Offshore (4 persons), maintenance certificate until 09/2017)
- Galley fire blanket;
- 2 fire extinguishers;
- EPIRB Auqafix 406 ACR 2797.4 with GPS;
- DANBUOY: SEAGO 3 IN 1 RESCUE BOY;
- Firdell Blipper radar reflector;
- 7 bilgepumps: 4 x electric, 2 x manual, 1 x manual mobile;
- Watertight compartments in both bows and in other parts of the boat.
- Guard rails are 6 mm Dyneema on stainless steel stanchions, with stern gates.
- Appropriate number of winches, cleats from the cockpit to the mast and foredeck;
- Two large lockers in front of the mast hold mooring ropes, anchoring gear and fenders (4 cylindrical, 4 raindrop fenders).
- Stainless steel davits to carry a dinghy of appropriate size.
- Optional: solid GRP dinghy with Motorguide electrical engine plus 80 Amp 12 V battery.
- One set of extra shrouds (spliced 16mm Dyneema SK99 with fitted dead-eyes);
- 4 gas bottles:1 x aluminum 14 kg, propane; 2 x aluminum 2 kg propane; 1 x Campinggaz 2,5 kg butane, set of international gas bottle adaptors;
- New Jotun antifouling (October 2017);
- Water hose with various fittings;
- 2 bikes (24 inches), can be taken apart and stored in the stern compartments (old);
- Extensive range of spares.